Thursday, August 5, 2010

Yes I can...can!

So in my spare time I have started to can. As in canning food. I started with a jar of pickles. Yes, I said A jar of pickles. I didn't want to buy all the cucumbers and cans and other stuff to make 12 jars of pickles and them turn out bad, so I bought the stuff to make one jar. So far so good. The recipe recommended for them to sit for 4 - 6 weeks to absorb the juices. So, no I haven't actually tasted them yet, but I will. And they will be wonderful...I hope. I have also canned salsa...with fresh tomatoes and peppers. I learned that skinnig tomatoes is the ABSOLUTELY most disgusting thing I have ever done (and  I have cut up a chicken!). I do not like tomatoes. Never have and now I stand firm on that statement. Anyway, the salsa was a big hit. My husband really like it. I have also canned strawberry jam. Very tasty. But my strawberries floated. It is kinda frustrating, but I don't care about it enough to have it make my world fall apart. There is a local fresh farmer's market in downtown Wake Forest on Saturday mornings. I'm hoping to be able to get some cucumbers this week for more pickles, but since it has been so hot I think it has ruined the cucumber crop for now. But hoping!!!

I have signed up as a vendor for a women's ministry event for my church in September. It is a women's expo where women in the church can sell items from a home business or from crafts and things that they make for some extra income. I'm super excited! I'm wanting to sell some of my canned foods. I also learned how to knit with a loom and have made scarfs and baby blankets. I want to sell some of those too. I have a super cute idea for tags for the things that I want to sell. I found a stamp at Michaels that says "hello darling" and I think I may call that my lil business. I'm going to stamp tags with that logo and script write what the item is on the front and on the back I'm going to stamp "homemade by" and script write my name. I know that it is superficial, but I'm so excited about this coming together that the little details are making me overjoyed.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment